Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Google Knows Where You Are - 11/2/16

After a bit of online research, it looks like my Nikon D5200 camera doesn't include location data in the exif file it attaches to each photo. Exif data is data generated by the camera that gives you info about each photo- when it was taken, what camera and settings were used, etc. Apparently newer cameras do have GPS data built in but the D5200 doesn't. However I noticed when I backed up the photos to Google Photos, Google was able to accurately pinpoint where each photo was taken. At first I thought the location data WAS in the exif file and I looked and looked but couldn't find it. Finally I did some research into the camera - the D5200 simply doesn't have location data built into the exif, like on a smartphone. Your smartphone does. So how does Google know where your photos were taken? Well from what I can find out, it compares where you were at the time when the photo was taken, using the data continuously broadcast by your phone, and that's how. It's kinda creepy. The way to test this would be to go on a short photo excursion and leave the cell phone in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment