Tuesday, February 7, 2017

No Car - 11/13/16

When I was in high school what I wanted most was a car. You needed a car in suburbia. I bought an illegal car from a friend for some trifling sum, it barely worked, had no plates, but I drove it around and only got a warning once when I was parked in front of a Little Tavern and a cop came in and asked who had the car with no plates. They fell off, I told him.


So now I'm an adult and have had a lot of cars. A couple of years ago I simply got tired of owning them, after a years long battle with a Volvo 850 with an incredibly exasperating transmission. We're a one car family now. I get to use the wife's car when she's not using it. Do I miss having a car? Sometimes. Then I go to Craigslist and peruse what's being offered. I know that if I did get another car it would be more than 20 years old, because then you don't have to worry about emissions inspections. But once I peruse the listings I soon realize that even if I bought a totally crap car for say, $2000, that $2000 would pay for a lot of Uber rides. If I really really need a car (this has only happened once) I can rent one. Uber actually owes me $5 for a guy who got lost on the way here last winter.
I heard on the radio that there will be even more car ownership alternatives in the future, like car sharing. So no, I probably won't be buying a car any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment