Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Seven Jobs - 8/9/16

First seven jobs. I've had a lot of jobs. Might have left some out.

1) Stock room at Hahn's Shoes at Montgomery Mall. Hated it but it was interesting. There was an entire hierarchy of shoe salespeople.

2) Barker on the Olympic Bobsled ride in Ocean City Maryland. Great job. Unfortunately I got fired for saying "Casey's Games are rigged" over the mic when I thought no one was listening. Someone was always listening.

3) Wrangling 50lb bags of roasted coffee beans at Georgetown Coffee Tea and Spice. Not real memorable, but I learned a lot about high-end coffee years before Starbucks.

4) Telemarketer at Time-Life Books. Lasted (what was for me) a long time at this one. Wasn't good at sales and was moved to "Confirmation" where I did well. In "confirmation" we had to determine if the people who were sent books would actually pay for them. If they didn't, there was nothing Time-Life could do.

5) DJ at Latino gay disco in Santa Fe. Don't recall the name. I remember saying at the interview that I wasn't gay, and the owner said it didn't matter. Didn't last very long at this one.

6) Computer room tech at a TV ratings company in Santa Fe. Very early computer tech at this place- punch cards came in and were entered into the computer and then the data was sent over telephone wires to Chicago. Hard drives were the size of large car tires and were in a rack. I enjoyed this job, but it was seasonal, tied to the TV ratings season.

7) Cheese and meat case at The Winery Deli in Santa Fe. My first and last food handling job. Got fired for letting the restaurant make a sandwich from spoiled lox, eating too much of the goods, and sitting down on the job. Sold corned beef to Amy Irving.
Not listed: A bunch of florist jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment